Quick Tip

[QUICK TIP] How to Mend a Broken Eyeshadow

Friday, October 07, 2011 Sidrah!!!! 22 Comments

Hello everyone!

I’m sure we have all experienced it, that heartbreaking moment when you find that your precious eyeshadow has broken into pieces. I realized soon after blogging that not many of you know how to mend broken powder makeup. Since rubbing alcohol isn't available here (hence why this is dedicated to my Pakistani readers) I have been using this technique for years and it has worked wonders on my powder foundation and mineral makeup. So fear no more! This technique will repair your makeup with just a few products. 
From this hot mess:
To this prettiness:



What you will need:

  • Broken Powder Makeup- You can also use mineral makeup
  • Alcohol Prep Pads- Since Isopropyl Alcohol isn’t available here, this is a great alternative. These can be found at any Pharmacy for about 2 Rs per pad. You can use more than 2 depending on how moist the pad is. Make sure the pad contains more than 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
  • Empty Container- Make sure it is clean and dry, you don’t want to mix your makeup with dust and dirt.
  • Spatula- Something to scoop out the makeup into the container.
  • Object to Press your makeup- I used the end of an old makeup brush, you can also use a coin.

So let’s gets started!
Step 1: Gather your materials and make sure you have a clean surface to work with. Your gonna need some tissue for clean up.

Step 2: Taking your broken eyeshadow, the empty container and the spatula, you want to dump the product into the container. You can skip this step if your eyeshadow or powder makeup isn’t that badly damaged; since mine is really bad, I needed to do this step.
Step 3:  Clean off your eyeshadow pan. Make sure it’s free from any germs; you can use an Alcohol pad to make sure its sanitized. Taking your clean eyeshadow pan, start putting the product and spreading it out evenly. Don’t dump all of your makeup, you want to have one thin layer. Don’t worry we will place the rest of the makeup in a second layer.
Make sure your product is evenly distributed in the pan.

Step 5: Taking your Alcohol Prep Pad. Open it up and place it on top of your eyeshadow. With your object (or you can use your thumbs) press firmly on the eyeshadow. This is how it should look after you press it. If your prep pad isn’t moist enough, use another one and make sure the product is held together nicely.
This should be your result, make sure the powder is pressed together, I ended up using my fingers because the sides weren't getting pressed that well.


Step 6: Repeat Step 4 and 5 for the second layer.
Step 7: Voila! This is what your end result should be, make sure you clean up any product around the eyeshadow. Leave the product to dry for a few hours, if you see that the eyeshadow hasn’t mended properly then take another prep pad and press hard again. Its crucial to leave it to dry for a few hours.
I really hope that this helped you all, I wanted to share this because it’s heartbreaking to see a broken and bruised makeup product. Also, if you get annoyed by how messy mineral makeup is like me, this is a great way to press your shadows. 


If anyone can recommend where I can find empty eyeshadow pans for cheap in Pakistan PLEASE let me know, I have had the worst luck finding empty pans.


If this helped you PLEASE leave me a comment. <3

You Might Also Like

22 comments:

  1. Great post Sidrah!!! I really hate it when my makeup stuff gets broken especially eyeshadows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! Very helpful indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woww meri mom bi aisy hi karti hyn jo chez toot jayn phir bi sambhal leti hyn :)very nice color of shade usefull tip thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. It's really useful and you've explained it well.

    Thanks for sharing. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I have so many broken eye shadows. Now I don't have to get sad. Thank you SO much for the amazing post :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this!! I could never think about doing this!! Thanks for helping me save my eye makeup :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow how ingenious!! great tip and your nail color looks cool:)

    rakhshansblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your welcome guys, I am happy this helped you all <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very helpful tips...Now i will have to wait for one of my stuff to get broken :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. i never knew it is that easy...thanks for such a useful post:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice trick sidrah.Haven't faced this dilemma yet but i am always worried about the more expansive eye shadows while traveling.now i know what to do in case of a mishap:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. excellent work Sidrah! :) thank you for sharing this <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post!!! eyeshadow saver!!

    http://ilovemakeup68.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a useful post! I probably wouldn't go to the bother for a cheap shadow but if an expensive one broke it would break my heart - so this will come in so handy! Thank you! And thank you for commenting on my blog - it means I can easily find your lovely blog too and this handy tutorial! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never heard of this one. Great tip Sidrah. =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. wowwww... I AM SOOOO MUCH IMPRESSED .... great post and explained very well ... dear can i share your post on my blog or my fb page .. as a guest post or something because its sooo useful and i want to help all the girls
    http://makeupoholics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANK YOU ALL!! <3333 I am so thrilled it helped you all, now you never have to cry over broken makeup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Sidrah ,

    I have shared this great Tip in my fb album " Tip of the Day " link here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.290117461017590.87079.212086925487311&l=01ede1e9d1&type=1
    <3 and hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ths is great post.realy helpful

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was amazing!! I just broke my Rimmel Stay Matte powder and i was heart broken! Gonna try this now.
    Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete