Tutorial

[TUTORIAL] Gunmetal Smokes-- Inspired by Emma Stone at 2012 Golden Globes

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 Sidrah!!!! 20 Comments

Hello Everyone!

About a week or so ago Hareem from iheartmexo requested for me to do a tutorial on the eye makeup that Emma Stone wore at this years Golden Globe Awards. I absolutely adore Emma, she is such a witty and versatile actress so I was thrilled to be requested this soft smokey look. Emma wore a very pretty grey smokey eye with a bit of black on the inner and outer corner. This technique really helps to bring out the eyes more since the lightest shade is in the middle of the lid. She is an ambassador of Revlon so most of the products she used were from the brand. 

This is my second attempt to create this look, the first time I shot this look I wasn't happy with how it turned out. Although I am no professional makeup artist I wanted it to be really similar to her look so I hope you all like what I created. I  recreated the look using some shimmery grey and gunmetal shades. Here is what I came up with:
Here is Emma's look:
Image taken from Google.com
The Products she used:
Face:
Eyes:
Lips:

So lets get started shall we?

First start off with your favorite eyeshadow primer to even out your eyelid. I used Essence You Rock Eyeshadow Base. Now taking a creamy black eyeliner, something that is easily smudgeable. Start by creating a V-shape on the outer corner of your eye, this will help map out the cat eye shape.

Next we are going to take a small smudger brush and blend out the eyeliner. Make sure you don't over blend, just make sure the black eyeliner is smoothed out.


This is what you should have, make sure the outer V still has its shape. You can always clean up the edges to make it more sharp.


Next we are going to take a slate grey shade and apply it all of the lid leaving the inner and outer corner bare. The shade I used is from a Mabrook palette with a flat shader brush to really pack on the color.

Next we are going to take a gunmetal shade, this should be at least 1 or 2 shades darker then the grey on the lid. You can use the same brush for this, and apply it in the inner corner blending it up into the slate grey.

Taking an angled brush, I wanted to use the same slate grey shade, and blend out the gunmetal shade into the inner corner.

Taking a shimmery black on the same smudge brush that we used for the base, apply this on the outer corner on top of the black eyeliner. I didn't want to use a matte black because then it would be a bit too black so we want to keep the grey tones to be prominent. I used a CoverGirl eyeshadow in Shimmering Onyx. I didn't use a blending brush because I wanted to have a bit more control with the color, using a blending brush can move the color all over the lid and we don't want that. What makes Emma's look really pretty is the cat eye shape of the outer corner, it comes out in a V-shape. Also make sure to blend the slate grey and black smoothly. 

Taking the same black, use what is leftover on the brush and apply a little bit of it on the inner corner. Apply this on top of the gun metal shade.

This is what you should have by now, you can take a makeup wipe and clean up the fall out and then apply concealer. 


Time for blending! Take a matte cream color on a blending brush and apply this where your eyeshadow ends. Sweep the shadow all over the brow bone to blend out the harsh edges. I used a matte cream from the Catrice Duo in  070 Double Expresso Macchaito, Please! with Elf Studio Contour brush.


Also, apply the same slate grey eyeshadow on the lower lashline using a damp angled liner brush to really pack on the color. Take the same brush and apply a bit of black on the outer lashline  to connect the slate grey and black.


Next apply your favorite eyeliner, I used Avon's Glimmerstick in Blackest Black (read my review here) Make sure to not line your eyes very thick, Emma's eyeliner is really clean on the waterline as well as the top lashline. I also applied this on my tightline. For my mascara I used Avon Wash-Off Waterproof mascara in Black.
This is how your eyes should look now! The eyeliner isn't so noticeable but its there, which is exactly what we want!


Our final look!


I really love how this look turned out! I hope you all like it as much as I do. It's really similar to Emma Stone's look so I hope you all try this out and let me know!

You Might Also Like

20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! You have done it SO professionally. Good job xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! love your pics too!! Will try it!

    Please join my giveaway!
    http://pinkcloudsz.blogspot.com/2012/02/pink-clouds-tints-and-highlights.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done justice to her eye make up. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great tutorial. Sidrah You always have me craving for more. Great job and beautiful blending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love it!! thankyou for doing this sidrah :) really loving the eye look great job :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ALL so much for the lovely feedback. I'm thrilled you all like it as much as I do. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I came to know your blog, loved, congratulations on your corner and lots of success here!
    I'm following your blog now!

    I invite you to visit my Blog and if you like and can also follow my blog, you will be very welcome, feel at home!

    Oh, there's a translator at the end of my blog, welcome and enjoy!

    Kisses from Brazil

    http://umamulherbemvestida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this kind of look and eye shadows is looking better on you then on Emma, because of your lovely brown eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job.

    I love the way it looks on you <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. waoooooooooooo really really Perfect job!!!!MA ur eyes look soooo pretty i will definetly try it..:):)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great! check out my stuff & follow me here- i follow back! http://www.blogger.com/profile/13691991599288919811

    ReplyDelete